St. Croix Valley
Elementary Tutoring and Snack Packs
Our members tutor students in math and reading at local schools, who blossom with one-on-one attention from tutors. The Snack Pack Program provides healthy shelf-stable foods to the students to help sustain them over weekends and holidays.
- Coordinating essential volunteer opportunities four weeks throughout the year
- Organizing food donations, assists with deliveries helps shoppers and provides significant financial contributions
Last Sunday Supper
- Provides an opportunity for a great hot meal and warm fellowship that may be especially welcome when money is in short supply at the end of the month
- A great opportunity for friends, small groups, or families, including children to serve together as well as eat with the guests.
- Work is divided into several different responsibilities which allows volunteers to choose how much time they’d like to spend
- All meals are served at Ascension, with First Presbyterian taking a turn to plan, cook, serve and clean-up four times a year – Won’t you join us?
An interfaith program that provides emergency shelter for families who are struggling with paying rent and feeding their families. In cooperation with White Bear Unitarian Universalist Church, our members help by serving as evening and overnight hosts, providing hospitality to families in need and transition.
Hope For the Journey Home
Twin Cities Metro Area
Liberty Community Church
We have a long-standing partnership with this church in North Minneapolis — helping with meals for the Freedom School and after school programs, providing support for the on-going ministry of the church including the development of a new outreach in the area of AIDS/HIV ministry. The partnership offers us the opportunity to give of our prayers, talents, and resources to meet some very special needs in this difficult part of the city.
Northside Healing Space
The drop-in space at Kwanzaa is intended to connect women and teens in North Minneapolis to both non-judgmental people who care and needed services. Our members provide financial and in-kind support to the organization. LINK
Tubman Center East
Women Build-Habitat for Humanity
GIRLS PLAY HOUSE, WOMEN BUILD THEM. From fundraising through construction, this group builds two Habitat homes each year and repairs another through A Brush with Kindness. Women Build attracts women from all walks of life who want to make a profound difference for families and the community. No experience necessary! Learn more.
Daylight Model School
Ethiopian Refugee Ministry
Our church is an Earth Covenant Congregation, a designation granted by PC-USA, in recognition of our work in establishing rain gardens in the parking lot that reduce runoff and filter contaminants. We have also replaced most conventional lighting throughout the building with energy-saving LED fixture. We have made significant strides in reducing our waste stream by converting to cups, plates napkins and silverware which can be composted along with food residues that would normally be placed in the trash. A “pollinator friendly” approach to landscaping is also underway.
Other Regional Mission Support
The need for good, clean, affordable housing for all God’s children has been an emphasis in our regional giving, with support for Habitat for Humanity, Metro Interfaith Council on Affordable Housing (MICAH), and Presbyterian Homes. Gifts to the St. Paul Area Council of Churches help them with their work on housing the homeless, feeding hungry families, persuading public policy makers to address poverty and injustice, studying racism and taking steps to dismantle it, visiting people in prison, and tutoring and supporting children towards success in school.